Agenda/Minutes‎ > ‎2001-2002‎ > ‎

2002 - 03/14

UCAP Meeting of 03/14/2002


agenda status: approved

University Committee on Academic Policy

Meeting of Thursday, March 14, 2002
10:15 a.m., Board Room, Administration Building

1. Approval of Agenda

2. Approval of Minutes of the February 21, 2002 meeting.....................................(Attachment)

3. Comments from the Chairperson

4. Comments from the Assistant Provost

5. Computing Requirements Subcommittee Follow-Up

6. Guidelines for Group Work..................................................................................Celia Wills

7. Importance of Instruction Subcommittee Report...............................................Jim Gallagher

8. Roundtable

Attachment: February 21, 2002 Draft Minutes

FYI – Also attached is a copy of the most recent Sticklen letter (Feb. 27, 2002) to Norman Abeles, Chair of the Executive Committee of Academic Council, regarding UCAP’s recommendation of the rejection to the proposed name change for the Department of Telecommunication. (Attachment)

To view the revised Review of Research Centers and Institutes at Michigan State University document click the URL address below:

Please phone or E-Mail Robin Pline (353-5380; if you cannot be present.

minutes status: not approved

UCAP Minutes for meeting held on 03/14/2002

Approved 3/28/02
University Committee on Academic Policy
March 14, 2002

Members Present: Bridget Behe, Lucinda Davenport, James Gallagher, Ryan Hedstrom, Rod Phillips, Jon Sticklen, Juli Wade, Jeanne Wald, Winston Wilkinson, Celia Wills, Cameron Wooley, and Maija Zile.

Others Present: Barbara Steidle (Assistant Provost)

1. Approval of Agenda:
The agenda was approved as presented.

2. Approval of Minutes of the February 21, 2002 Meeting:
The minutes were approved as presented.

3. Comments from the Chairperson:
A. With the agenda is attached a copy of the Jon Sticklen memorandum to ECAC with information regarding the comments and discussion of UCAP regarding the department name change. The committee agreed with the information summarized in the memorandum. Jeanne Wald suggested that the relevant page from the minutes of the meeting be included in presenting it to ECAC.
B. There is a calendar on the UCAP website ( for sub-committee reporting deadlines: At the next meeting, the crisis response sub-committee is due to make a report. Ryan Hedstrom volunteered to assist on the sub-committee.
C. Four years of UCAP minutes are posted on this website as well.

4. Comments from the Assistant Provost:
A. Barbara Steidle had one request of the committee: to review information regarding faculty needs in Bookstore service. Several volunteers will provide her with the information.
B. A document revised 12/01 regarding the “Review of Research Centers and Institutes at Michigan State University” was distributed for review prior to the next discussion of the sub-committee on Guidelines for Documentation for Unit Changes.

5. The Computer sub-committee reported little progress has been made. However, Steidle’s office is working with Residence Life to complete a quick survey of freshman computer use now and how it has changed since their arrival. The feedback is relatively fast and this methodology has been successful, in part, because the students see their aggregate responses on the closed-circuit television “news” in the dormitories. There will be a parallel faculty survey. Steidle will distribute these to members of the Computer Sub-committee for commentary.
      There was some discussion regarding a change in wording of the undergraduate requirement for a personal computer. It was suggested that the sub-committee investigate the possibility of changing the rule from “Internet capable” to “dial up.” Discussion noted that there were several places on campus with Internet hook-ups. The sub-committee was encouraged to investigate how many of such hook-ups exist and where they are located. Although laptop or portable computers are more expensive, they can be brought to campus for Internet access.

      There also appears to be a profound lack of support for Macintosh computers on-campus. The sub-committee should investigate how to direct students with Macs to find adequate support.
6. The Group Work sub-committee report was given by Celia Wills. Draft #3 had been circulated. After short discussion, the full committee decided only one document was needed. Some changes in language were discussed. The committee was reminded that these were guidelines for faculty and opted for a softer approach. Steidle will send a copy to the Ombudsman (who often deals with complaints generated by such assignments) for review and the UCAP full committee should vote on the final version at the next meeting.

7. The Importance of Instruction sub-committee report was given by Jim Gallagher. After meeting, the sub-committee solicited input from the full committee regarding their perception of changes in teaching importance. Some noted positive changes while others had observed little to no change in instruction importance. It was suggested that SIRS be eventually tied to learning objectives. It was further suggested that the full committee continue this discussion at a later date.

8. Roundtable: The Unit Change/Dissolution sub-committee report was given earlier by Winston Wilkinson. No written comments on the sub-committee’s report had yet been received. UCAP members were strongly urged to send those comments promptly.
      It was noted that there is discussion on campus of a possible teaching assistant strike. UCAP members should discuss potential impacts if a strike occurred.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:10 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Bridget K. Behe
Associate Professor
Dept. of Horticulture
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources